Q: What’s the secret to getting a successful team?
A: Hire them carefully.
Recruiting is indeed the magic formula
Here are 10 ways you can screw it up:
- Hire fast
- Undervalue soft skills
- Make the job description wishy-washy
- Rely on a recommendation
- Have an unclear concept of your culture ‘fit’
- Plan on changing someone once you’ve hired them
- Have rubbish onboarding
- Think great technical skills trump a poor attitude
- Ignore the opinion of other team members
- Pay no attention to your gut instinct
Finding the right guys is really the hardest part of being a leader
If you like this post, join our newsletter to receive monthly barrier-breaking ideas for your soft skills development…PLUS immediate access to a 16-page article from The Jazz of Business: Leadership in a New Groove.